Tabs

4.25.2016

Monday's Musings: Perspective can Change so Much...

by Mary Denman      @MaryDenman


"Why do we have a walker and shower chair here? That's what grandmas and grandpas use." Not my son's most sensitive thing to say. Yet, it was accurate. 

He had seen his grandparents use pieces of equipment just like these. He was surprised that I had bought them for me. 

Honestly, I understood his sentiment. For a moment, I felt older...much older. 


I had a feeling of not being strong. 

Of not being able to make my body do what I told it to do. 


Of needing help.






Why did I need help? Because I was having foot surgery. 

But then, I realized my perspective could change so much. 

Post surgery, I couldn't put any pressure on my foot at all. For 2 weeks. 


Enter the walker.

My cast had to stay completely dry for those 2 weeks as well. 


Enter the shower chair. 


With a changed perspective, I saw the chair as giving me more freedom. The same for the walker. It meant I could get around easier than on crutches.

So, instead of feeling old, I thought about how useful the equipment was. About how it would help me to be able to take care of myself sooner. 


While I'm still getting stronger, I don't mind having the chair and walker around. 


They are tools to help me get better. 


They are not a statement about my age or overall ability. 


This has also made me realize that my perspective about other challenges in my life may need some revision. 


What I may view as a negative, may actually be viewed as a positive. Or at least in a positive light. 


How about you? Is there an area in your life where a change of perspective is in order? 


Have a wonderful week! 


Mary




TWEETABLE




Blogs I Join:
  clairejustine 

11 comments:

  1. Good point, Mary. I was just thinking these past few days how important our focus is in life.

    I can relate to the need for help. It can be hard to accept (we've got that stubborn thing called pride), but the help we get, from equipment or other people can change our lives. And when it comes to accepting help from others, we actually allow them the blessing that comes with giving to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true Ellen! I think it's easier to offer help than receive it. But you have learned the value of accepting help! :)

      And so have I, in the form of chairs, a walker, crutches, a boot and a cast!

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. It's challenging for me to go from Miss Independent to a person who has to rely on someone or something for things I've always done on my own. I look at it as a little lesson in humility, a reminder that we all need each other... sometimes more than others. It's interesting trying to gracefully adjust as that balance changes.

    At any rate, I hope you recover quickly and soon will be able to lend that walker to the grandmas out there!

    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/04/worlds-best-meatloaf-recipe-wordful.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sue! My mom handled her stroke and subsequent paralysis with grace and strength. I hope to be like her. I'm still learning how to do this gracefully!

      Hopefully, I get to start walking without my boot soon!

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Love the photo and post! I tweeted and shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you're cute in that boot :)

    You are so right about perspective. Every year I find things that I could do last year that aren't so easy now. I have a choice: complain or praise God. Sure I learned a couple months ago that I can't spring up off the floor like I used to. Praise God that I learned that while down on the floor playing with grandkids. Do I complain because I can't crawl around in the garden for hours planting new flowers? I prefer to praise God for a sweet friend who comes over to visit and we plant together while we talk. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your article Mary. You're so right about how circumstances can cause our perspective to shift.

    Thanks for sharing your insights with us at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post........you are so very right....perspective is everything and we all need an
    attitude adjustment that typically comes with a perspective change.
    Good for you to see it in the right light........Hope you heal very quickly and are back on
    your feet again really soon.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This caught my eye on the Simple Inspiration Link Party, because the post I just published is about perspective also! I hope you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, yes perspective is a very powerful thing and I'm glad you have chosen to look at your situation in a positive light. I'm glad you're able to use these handy tools to help yourself do what you need to get done. I hope you recover from your surgery soon. :) Thanks for sharing at Sweet Inspiration!

    ReplyDelete