Tabs

11.22.2015

Monday's Musings: Ann Voskamp Quote on Always Being Thankful

by Mary Denman @MaryDenman

With Thanksgiving coming up here in the United States, our thoughts turn to being thankful. 

While it's easiest to be thankful for the good things in life, as Ann Voskamp says, "There is always, always, always something to be thankful for."

In the face of challenges, whether they be relational, health issues, or the loss of loved one, there is always something to be thankful for. We may have to look for it, but it's there to be found. 

And that's the key. 

We need to look. 


We need to think about it. 

We need to find things to be thankful for in the face of difficulties. 

As I sit here, one of my kids is struggling to get his school done. He's put it off to the last minute yet again. Honestly, my frustration level is high. 

But I'm writing about thankfulness....

So what can I be thankful for right now?

That God doesn't get frustrated with me when I don't listen to him. 
That God continues to work with me. Calling me. Loving me.

I'm already calming down. 

There is so much right in front of us that we can appreciate. But in this day and age, busyness and stress distract us. At least they distract me. 

I have friends who have lost a child. I know that they would love to have one more day to sit with their child, trying to get homework done. 

Yes, I can be thankful that my son is sitting beside me, even if he's stressing me out. 

I started a gratitude journal not too long ago. Unfortunately, it's gone by the wayside.

Starting now, though, I commit to writing at least one thing I'm thankful for, in the journal, each night, through the end of this year.

To look past my frustrations, busyness and stress to see the beauty around me. 

Beauty seen through the thankfulness of my heart. 

Will you join me in looking for something to be thankful for?

 TWEETABLE

Blogs I join:
  clairejustine 

8 comments:

  1. Not hard for me, Mary, as I feel I have been so blessed. But I accept your challenge. I have two for next year, starting in January. Now your challenge, but also one to write a haiku poem each day. Maybe I can work them together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, writing a haiku about something you're thankful for is a great idea! I would love to read a few of those! 😀

      Delete
  2. I had a journal as well and, after a few days, it sat, unused. I will accept your challenge, too. As for haikus - I'm a loss as those :) I'll let you know how it goes, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! Thanks for stopping by my party this past weekend :) Star is now 22 months..soon to be two. I just can't believe it. She's got quite the personality too :)

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent point. It's so easy to see the emptiness in that half-full glass; we need to see it the other way round. For that matter, in my ways, my cup runneth over. I hope your life is full of blessings today and that your heart is open to recognizing and receiving them.
    Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/11/chicago.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many wonderful things to be thankful for. Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays Mary :)

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete